Thank you to all students who participated in the Winter Concert! Congratulations on a fine performance.
Any student who missed a rehearsal, the Winter Concert (or the 11/29 Tiny Tots 7:00pm performance for Wind Ensemble) needs to schedule a time with Mr. Specketer to play their concert music. All grades will remain zeros in the gradebook until the grade is made up.
Concert Reviews – Due Dec. 9 (Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble), Dec. 12 (Percussion Ensemble)
Concert Reviews should be handwritten, and must be at least one page long, single spaced to receive credit.
- What was your favorite part of your ensemble’s performance?
- Give three musical elements that can be improved as an ensemble for the next concert. How will we improve them?
- What is something that you could improve as an individual for the next performance?
- What was your favorite moment in the performance of the other two bands? Why?
District Band Auditions: Saturday, Dec. 10, 2016
Osbourn High School, 9005 Tudor Lane, Manassas, VA 20110
Registration – 8:00am – 10:00am
Registration will begin for ALL students in order to accommodate students needing to leave for parades or other school events. If you DO NOT need to leave early, consider arriving later to avoid the morning rush.
Auditions are first come, first serve, and may go into the afternoon.
Registration times DO NOT equal audition times.
Hello all 8th Grade Parents and Students!
We invite you to come participate in our 8th Grade Band night! All current band, chorus, or orchestra members interested in joining marching band are encouraged to attend. If you don’t play a brass, woodwind, or percussion instrument, that’s okay! There are plenty of opportunities to learn a new instrument, or to try color guard.
Our 8th grade night will be on Friday, October 7, 2016. You can find more information about the event HERE. Make sure you either submit a form to your Middle School director, or sign up using the google form, found HERE.
We can’t wait to see you there!
Here is the information for Senior Regional Orchestra Auditions on Wednesday, September 21, 2016, from 6:00-8:00pm.
Student Information Letter
Student Registration Form
Link to SRO Information – www.ncvro.org
All students interested in auditioning need to let Mr. Specketer know by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, September 15, 2016.
Good evening, MBB,
Here are the coordinates and thumbnails for the entire show.
For the coordinates, make sure you find your drill number and select to print that page only. If you are a section leader, it might be a good idea to print all of the sheets for your section just in case someone can’t get to it tonight.
See everyone tomorrow!
Hello all! We start band camp TOMORROW, August 8 at 8am in the band room! I am so excited to get going this year. Monday-Wednesday will be mandatory for leadership, new marchers, pit, and drumline. On Thursday, everyone will join us. If you want to join us before Thursday, feel free to do so!
Here is an updated calendar and a few notes and reminders for band camp.
- August 8-10, 8:00am – 12:00pm; Freshman/New Marchers and Leadership Only
- August 11-12, 8:00am – 2:00pm; Everyone!
- August 15-18, 8:00am – 6:00pm; Full Band Camp
- August 19, 8:00am – 4:30pm; Full Band Camp
- National Anthem @ FPHS Scrimmage, 7:00pm
- August 20, 9:00am – 3:00pm; MBB Picnic and Showcase
- August 22, 2:30 – 5:30pm; Rehearsal
- August 25, 9:00am – 12:00pm; Performance for Orientation/Rehearsal
- September 2, Picture Day. Students will arrive early for the away game vs. Patriot. Time TBA.
What You Need to Know:
- Time – Students should be in the band room or at report location ready to begin by the scheduled time. Arrive early so you have to prepare.
- Meals – Meals will NOT be provided during band camp, and students will not be allowed to go off campus for lunch. We recommend you pack a cooler.
- Attire – Students must wear shorts (preferably athletic shorts), a light t-shirt, socks, and tennis shoes. Jeans, flip-flops, and sandals are not allowed. Students may wear a lightweight hat, and might want to bring an extra pair of socks in case of rain. If dressed inappropriately, you will be asked to find a change of clothes.
- What to Bring
- Sunscreen – Apply multiple times throughout the day.
- Deodorant – Apply multiple times throughout the day.
- Lip Balm – Especially for brass players.
- Instrument/Instrument needs – Valve Oil (Brass), extra reeds/cork grease (Woodwinds), Drum Pads (Percussion)
- Binder with Plastic Page Protectors – Should be labeled with your name and section.
- Reusable Water Bottle – Should be labeled with your name and section.
Trumpeter Alec Moser, class of 2008, has been selected to the Commandant’s Own Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. He will play soprano bugle. Alec played in the Wind Ensemble at Forest Park as well as the Marching Bruin Band and Spriggs Road Jazz Ensembles. He was selected to the All VA band as a senior. He is a graduate of James Madison University and in recent years has served as a brass and drill instructor for the Bruin Band at band camp. Congratulations Alec! We’re proud of you.
Drumline Audition Results can be found at the link below.
2016 Drumline Results
Reminder to DL students – There will be NO rehearsal on Monday, June 13. The first drumline rehearsal will be on Tuesday, June 14, 5:00-8:00pm with the rest of the ensemble.
Reminder to everyone else – Fill out the Google Form, and we’ll see you Tuesday evening at 5:00pm!
2016 Show Music can be downloaded here (remember they are password protected)
Online Marching Band Registration
Download Registration Documents
Download 2016 MBB Calendar
Here are all of the documents required for registration for the marching band. We are asking that you complete BOTH the online Google Form, and the hard copy form, which you will turn in to your director.
Also above is the most up to date 2016 Marching Bruin Band Calendar. Please make sure to mark the dates in your calendars in order to plan for a successful season. We’d like to have 100% attendance as much as possible. Here are a few dates that are particularly important –
- Rehearsals on Tuesdays throughout the summer, 5:00-8:00pm
- Note: No rehearsal 6/7/16, 7/5/16, 8/2/16
- Band Camp – August 8 – 19 (Leadership and Newcomers only 8/8-10)
- MBB Picnic/Camp Showcase: August 20, 9:00am-3:00pm
- Rehearsals during School Year: Tues-Thu, 2:30-5:00pm
- Tag Day – September 10
- 9/17 – Woodbridge Viking Memorial
- 10/1 – Oakton Classic (No SATs that day!)
- 10/15 – Hanover Hawk Marching Invitational
- 10/22 – VBODA Assessment, Rock Ridge HS (Tent.)
You can also download a link to a the Google version of this calendar HERE.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
On April 9th, the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association named the Bruin Band a Virginia Honor Band. This award recognizes bands who achieve Superior ratings at both the Marching and Concert Band Assessments. This is the 11th time Forest Park has been so honored. Congratulations and thank you to all whose efforts made this possible.
Ben Fritz, Director of Bands at George Washington University passed away last Thursday evening at the age of 54. Dr. Fritz was an adjudicator for District 9 assessment in 2006 and 2014. I met Ben at the University of Calgary in 1988. He was living in Michigan and I in New Jersey. We became fast friends then, always stayed in touch, and rekindled that friendship when I came to Forest Park in 2005 to discover that he was now teaching at GW. He was a great teacher, and you have all either heard me tell stories that are about him or heard me say things he always says. He liked to say “I judge band directors on whether or not I want to be in their band”. He was my great friend and I will miss him. Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMe6WWcN18
Don’t you want to be in his band?