Dear Marching Band Parents,
We are so excited for the beginning of a new season and thankful your student is part of the Marching Bruin Band! Thank you for your commitment to this award winning program. Above you can see our schedule for the First Day of Band Camp and we hope all parents will join us at 7:30 PM on August 2nd in the FPHS Auditorium for our Parent Info Meeting. Below, we also wanted to share with you some “insider information” about band camp, which will take place the next two weeks. Please make sure to check out our Handbook, Calendar and Dues Payment Page as well.
The first couple of days of band camp will be spent teaching new marchers the fundamentals of marching. They will be joined by the full band and will begin to put the music they have been practicing with steps of the drill to create a marching show. The practice sessions during camp are long and demanding but so rewarding when students see what they can accomplish together with hard work and attention to detail. They will also make some of the best friends of their high school career!
There is no getting around the fact that band camp is exhausting, but here are a few tips from seasoned parents to help new members stay strong and energized:
- Prepare for heat. Slather on the sunscreen, wear a hat and sunglasses, and drink plenty of water throughout the camp. Make sure you bring your water jug to the practice lot. Band parents will have Igloo jugs to refill water jugs.
- Wear sturdy shoes that are already broken in. NO brand new shoes, please!
- Section leaders will encourage your student to dress for “Spirit Days” during the second week of Band Camp. Please urge participation not only because it is crazy fun, but it also helps a section to bond together for the season.
- Encourage your student to eat a healthy breakfast and pack a nutritious lunch. Students burn a lot of calories at Band Camp and need a nutritious breakfast and lunch to make it through the long days. Dinner break is a fun social time so encourage your child to join in when upper-class students invite them to sit together.
- Rest. Encourage early bed time during camp.
- Rehearsal starts at the posted time. A student who shows up at the posted time doesn’t have time to put away their things, get their instrument, and get to the practice location before rehearsal begins. Most students arrive at least 15 minutes before the posted time to be ready to rehearse at the posted time.
MUSIC TIME = EARLY IS ON TIME, ON TIME IS LATE
There is one more piece to the puzzle . . . YOU! We would love to see you during Band Camp! We ask for volunteers during Band Camp to help keep water jugs filled, snacks stocked, and be a helping hand to the staff when they need it. It is a great opportunity to meet the wonderful teenagers in the Marching Bruin Band and the other parent volunteers. Please consider filling out our Volunteer Form!
We look forward to a great season and we’ll see everyone very soon!